grocery shopping... alone

Monday, January 19, 2009

ok... i went grocery shopping alone today. i normally don't do the grocery shopping, and i never do it alone. but... i noticed several things today as i shopped, alone.



- i can keep up with how much i'm spending much better. there were no "momma can i have this?... momma will this make me strong?... momma did you see that man?... momma is that a man?" normally while i shop, i'm repeating in my head the amount i've spent ($39, $39, $39)... throw in one of those questions, and it ruins my counting ($39, $39, ...insert question here... $39, wait. no, it was $29... is that right? yeah, $29, $29, $29). that's probably why i always go over my budget.



- i noticed that some people were looking (really it was more than looking... they were glaring) inside my cart. i've never noticed that before... and i felt invaded. i mean, when shopping, you don't look into other people's carts! it's just common courtesy. i think it's the equivalent of going into a stranger's house and searching through their pantry... it's rude, and i don't like it.



- people were not opting out of going down an aisle just because i was on it. that was nice.



- while checking out, i did not have to threaten anyone. that was also nice.



- i was in and out... quick.



- as i was walking out to the car, i didn't have to make anyone hold on to the cart... nor did i get to push anyone while they were riding the cart.



so, these are my final thoughts on shopping alone...



- it's more pleasant and much faster, but not near as much fun.

- if you've never been shopping with three kiddos, i highly recommend it... at least once (my kiddos may be available, if you don't have any of your own).

- and... if you talk to yourself while shopping (as i do), you won't look near as crazy if you have a kid with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blogs! It's so much fun to come to your blog and read the funny goings on in your life. Tell all the kiddos and Jake that I said hello and I love them! Mom

Mike Archer said...

rookie shopper. it's completely and totally cool to look in other people's carts. that's why they are made like a cage. there are no solid walls or lids on the cart to hide your food. nothing wrong with looking in someone's cart...i do it all the time and highly recommend it to anyone.

Anonymous said...

Amen to Pastor Mike! LOL. I like to "observe" (I guess is a good word for it) in other people's cart. Sometimes I see stuff that I like in their cart and want to get for my own. Its totally cool! Anyhoo, that's how I overspend. haha.

Misty said...

Confession: I do look in others' carts so that I might get some good ideas. I didn't know it was rude, but I always wondered why I felt as though I needed to give it the peripheral look.

Post a Comment